The new York HospitalNew York Hospital
It emphasized the threefold tasks of providing patients with health services, research and education that such an institute should fulfil. King George III of England issued a King's Certificate in 1771 establishing the Society of the New York Hospital in the City of New York in America and a Board of Governors.
Founding a hospital was initiated by a burgeoning health care fellowship that comprised Dr. Bard, Dr. Peter Middleton and John Jones. This small hospital was built on a site on the western side of Broadway between today's Worth Street and Duane Street.
The hospital was opened until 1791, just in good season for the treatment of people during the catastrophic catarrhal war. Meanwhile, the facility was used as a barrack for Hesse and Britain troops, as a lab for anatomical education for medicine undergraduates and as a hospital.
Soon the small two-storey, H-shaped edifice was extended to three storeys, later new edifices were erected on the northern and southern sides. Hospital health services were the best there was. Doctors have been educated in Europe or at one of the New York City School of Medicine. In 1799, the treating surgeon Dr. Valentine Seaman delivered a vaccine against smallpox to New York hospital just one year after Edward Jenner released his first succesful experiment.
The New York Hospital Drug Book was released in 1816, four years before the release of the United States pharmacopoeia. Dr. William Handy of New York Hospital in 1818 wrote about his trial on the mental illness, which was a strong opposition to traditional hard work. By 1821, mental health care residents were moving to the new Bloomingdale Asylum, 77 acre of property now squatted by Columbia University on 116th Street and Broadway.
Until 1890 there was significant press to move Bloomingdale Asylum out of the town. A new Bloomingdale Hospital was erected on a large site in White Plains, New York, and opened in 1894. In 1936 the name was renamed New York Hospital-Westchester Division. Soon after the civil war, when the neighbourhood of the New York hospital was changing, a plan was made to move the hospital to a more appropriate area of the town.
New York's second hospital, constructed on Fifteenth and Sixteenth Streets, was opened in 1877. This was a hospital that was regarded as the "last word" in terms of architectonic splendour and functionality. Many of the lessons learnt from the old hospital were integrated into the new one. Until shortly before the First World War, there was no official arrangement between the university of medicine and the hospital.
The department and personnel would have common meetings in the hospital and at the university. PA Payne Whitney, Oliver Hazard Payne's cousin and main sponsor of the New York hospital, provided over $40 million to build the center. In its day, it has integrated most of the latest innovations into outstanding patients' health services, education and research.
Many areas of the hospital were comprehensively refurbished in later years in order to preserve the high standard of health services. Further important buildings were the C. V. Starr Pavilion for ambulatory nursing (1985), the Stitch Radiation Therapy Center with MRI devices (1986) and the Helmsley Medicinal Tower (1989).
The Greenberg Pavilion, the New York Hospital's forth large facility, was inaugurated on April 8, 1997.