New York fire MuseumBrandmuseum New York
Go 1 westward to the ½ blocs. Alternatively, take the IRT 1 to Houston Street. Go 4 blocs down Varick Street to Spring Street. Go to ½ bloc. If you want to get to the museum by coach, take the M10 or M21 to Spring Street. People come from all over the world to visit the museum.
On Varick St (7th Avenue) southbound to Houston; turn right onto Houston, turn lefthand onto Washington, turn lefthand onto Spring. West Street: Southbound, turn to your Lefthand on Clarkson, right on Washington, turn to your Lefthand on Spring. If you are heading northerly, turn right onto Spring (road after the Canal). Over the Chambers to West St (see above).
Houston over to Washington, turn to Washington, turn to Spring. There is a paid car park (Edison Parking) next to the museum.
The New York City Fire Department Museum
New York City Fire Museum is situated in the former district of FDNY Engine Company No. 30, a refurbished 1904 fire station at 278 Spring Street between Varick and Hudson Street in Hudson Square in Manhattan, New York City. More than 10,000 items, as well as an archives of recordings, ephemeras and photos, are treasured in ten thousand items on the fire department's and New York's fire department's histories.
The museum also houses samples of state-of-the-art fire-fighting gear, as well as a perpetual monument to the 343 FDNY members who were killed at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The museum received an Absolute Charter from the Board of Regents of the New York State Department of Education in November 2015.
It is a non-profit organisation under IRS Code Section 501(c)(3). NYC Fire Museum's origins go back to December 1870, when it was founded at 155 Mercer Street Fire Department Headquarters between Prince and Houston Street in Manhattan. As the NYC Fire College was founded in the Packard House on 32-02 Queens Boulevard in Long Island City, Chief John McKenna ordered that the reliquaries be housed as a museum along with a seven-story Jewish community collection.
In 1948, a better home was found in the new FDNY equipment workshops at 48-58 35-th Street in Long Island City. There it stayed until 1958, when a cove in the Engine Company 7 and Hook & Ladder Company 1 neighborhoods on 100 Duane Street in Manhattan was cleared.
The Home Insurance Company resolved in 1981 to disassemble its H.V. Smith Firefighting Museum at 59 Maiden Lane. It has been given to the City of New York. FDNY started a marketing drive to find the necessary funds to transform the empty beaux-arts fire station at 278 Spring Street, which was initially constructed in 1904 for Engine Company 30, into a modern museum.
Friends of New York City Fire Department Collection, Inc. The new New York City Fire Museum opened its gates to the general public on July 6, 1987. The Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York awarded the New York City Fire Museum an Absolute Charter on November 17, 2015.
The Friends of the New York City Fire Department Collection, Inc. und das New York City Fire Museum. The retired FDNY fire fighters are often on site to inform the general population about the fire fighting story and to tell stories of anecdote.
It is also very involved in fire protection and preventive training and has a show flat in which the fire risk for the nursery school is highlighted by twelfth-graders. On the third level of the museum is an open, 3,000 sq. m. large lounge available for personal use. This room is rented by the museum.
The FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit and the FDNY Foundation offer a structural programme for schools. The fictitious residential building was converted into a "Fire Safety Learning Center" in 2018 thanks to the generous support of Turner Construction Company, Carnegie Corporation, FM Global and the NY Community Trust.
Schoolchildren learn how to create an emergency exit strategy for fire protection.