Lyndhurst Estate new YorkThe Lyndhurst Estate New York
Villa Lyndhurst's story
Lyndhurst is located in Tarrytown, New York, with views of the Hudson River, one of America's most beautiful Gothic villas. The architecture created in 1838 by Alexander Jackson Davis is supplemented by the park-like scenery of the estate and an extensive selection of antecedents. The most notable inhabitants were: the former New York City Major, William Paulding, the businessman George Merritt and the railway typcoon Jay Gould.
For more than a hundred years, the estate was dominated by these three family. Its impact can be seen in the extension of the principal building from a cottage residence "in the pointed style" to a Gothic manor as well as in the extensive furnishing and park-like layout of the area.
The Romantic period was dominant in the art world, and when the motion emphasised the value of the natural world, fantasy and emotions, the Hudson Valley became the centre of art and artistry. Prosperous benefactors contracted the building of villas in various genres along the cliffs of the New York City to Albany rivers.
The Lyndhurst mansion was first designed by architects A.J. Davis and William Paulding, who built it in 1838 and named it "Knoll". Its Romanesque Gothic revival styling immediately attracted the visitor's eye. The fascination of George Merritt with the estate lasted for years. Just as the notions of riches and stature were changing with the expanding nations, so was the estate, which reflected the taste and interests of prosperous New York.
Between 1864-1865 Davis redoubled the villa's original dimensions for the second proprietor, the New York businessman George Merritt, who re-named it "Lyndenhurst" after the lime tree that was grown on the estate. Railway tycoon Jay Gould bought the property in 1880, seven years after Merritt's death, as a holiday home.
Until 1884 Jay Gould had taken over Western Union Telegraph, the New York Elevated Railway and the Union Pacific Railroad. Mr Gould used Lyndhurst as an exit from the pressure of his work. Lyndhurst was a rural refuge when his condition was affected by TB until his deaths in 1892.
In 1894, when she erected the Lyndhurst bowl and leisure centre, she enclosed in it a special room for a needlework training centre, which gave the women on site a craft that enabled them to go out of business and move into their own houses. Whereas she mainly stayed at the Plaza Hotel in New York City, she used Lyndhurst as a cottage.
Anna let the troops recover in Lyndhurst after the Second World War. In 1961, when Anna died, she left the 67 hectare estate to the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Today, Lyndhurst's extensive collections of fine arts, antiquities and furnishings have been largely preserved, as the villa was mainly used as a farm.
Most of the time, the interior of the building is authentic, and more than fifty items were created by the architects Alexander Jackson Davis himself. Lyndhurst is an excellent example of nineteenth c. landscaping. Among the features are curved lawn areas accentuated with bushes and solitary bushes, the curved entryway that reveals "surprising" glances, the square recurrence of the Gothic roof line in the evergreen and the first steel-framed winter garden in the country.