Huntington Ny MapNew Huntington Card
Huntington, NY - Huntington, New York Map & How to find us
Huntington City is one of ten cities in Suffolk County, New York, USA. It was established in 1653 and is situated on the northern bank of Long Island in northwest Suffolk County, with Long Island Sound in the south and Nassau County in the south. The Huntington belongs to the New York area.
In the 2010 United States Census, the total number of inhabitants was 203,264. In 1653, April 2, Richard Holbrook, Robert Williams and Daniel Whitehead, all from Oyster Bay, von Raseokan, Sachem of the Matinecock clan, purchased what is now known as "the first purchase". Oyster Bay men immediately handed the country over to a group of men who had already established themselves within its borders.
The first acquisition was limited by Cold Spring Harbor in the western part, Northport Harbor in the eastern part, Old Country Road in the southern part and Long Island Sound in the northern part. Over the years, the Indians acquired additional lands that extended the city's boundaries from Long Island Sound in the northern to Great Southern Bay and from Oyster Bay in the western to Smithtown and Islip in the eastern part.
A part of the city was taken away in 1872 to make up the city of Babylon. The majority of the early colonists were Englishmen who came to Huntington via Massachusetts and Connecticut. In 1660 the city of Connecticut decided to submit to the courts of Connecticut in order to protect itself from the Dutch.
After the New England tradition, the first type of Huntington administration was the City Meeting. When the need arised, free men of the city assembled to spread urban lands, solve conflicts, settle the grazing of cows on the urban lands, hire school masters, hire someone to service the common (public house) and the streets, and solve all other issues that affected the city as a whole.
Soon after the city was founded, the Huntingtonians showed their interest in the city. On February 11, 1657, the community assembly approved Jonas Houldsworth as the first school master. The city of Bolzano decided to construct a school in 1660.