Hudson River Mansions MapHudsson River Villas Map
New York State Palaces
There is no need to go back to the Middle Ages to see stunning Romanesque palaces - we have them here in New York State along the trail through the city. Boldt Palace on Hart Iceland in the Thousand Islands-Seaway area is a 120-room Rhine-style palace constructed around the turn of the 19th and 19th centuries, and can be reached by ferry, sea taxis or watercrafts.
In the area too, Singer Palace, a Scottish-inspired palace on a 7-hectare St. Lawrence River islet, has 28 rooms, a five-story watch turret, a four-story boathouse, a hot square for playing Squash, a porch and a rosary, and concealed corridors in almost all rooms and outbuildings. Hudson Valley, Lyndhurstis a Gothic Rebirth Villa and National Historic Site on 67 hectares along the Hudson River with landscaped grounds, a glasshouse and a carriore-hous.
Oheka Palace on Long Island is a stunningly stunning historical villa on the famous Gold Coast between New York City and the Hamptons. Visit Governor's Island off the tip of Manhattan in New York Harbour to see New York Williams - not a Romanesque palace, but a round defence work of reddish stone built and built between 1807 and 1811.
Hudson River & Lake Champlain Region travel guide
The Van Rensselaer-Rankin familiy - one of the so-called "Hudson River Manors Lords" - housed more than 20,000 items and 30,000 manuscripts collected over five generation from 1787 to 1963. Attendees can take part in walks around the villa or programmes such as the Behind-the-Scenes murders investigation tour, which investigates the 1827 Cherry Hill killing of John Whipple.
The 12-room building features portrait paintings of the whole household, historical furniture and luxuriant garden. Anchored on the Hudson River, the 1,200 ton Cannon-class liner is the only World War II destruction squadron still floating in U.S. seas. Spread over four levels - more than 80 per cent of the boat - the on-board exhibition of artefacts and souvenirs sponsored by seafarers and their family is designed to give the visitor a feel for the everyday lives of a mule.
Located at the strategically crossroads of the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers, the 1800s built in bricks was used as a base for the army during the wars of France and India, revolution and 1812. Refurbished, the Netherlands colonial building contains pieces of 1800s furnishings sponsored by Alice Shelp, a descendent of Van Schaick, and shows changing New York State Museums collection.
There is a small exhibition on the development of the great ordnance and the part of the armory in the conflict. Visitor can see 60- to 120-millimeter Abraham armoured mortar and a 24-pound pound from Britain handed over at the Battle of Saratoga on October 7, 1777. Alice, the spouse of railway industry magnate William H. Miner, acquired the stonehouse built in 1824 in the early 1920s as a repository for her collections of works of art by the Colonial Revival Movement, which in the latter part of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were exhibited by the Colonial Revival Movement.
In Plattsburgh, New York, on September 11, 1814, the US general Alexander Macomb halted the Brits' invasion of the north states. Onsite museums include genuine works of artwork from the Battle of Plattsburgh and the War of 1812, as well as temporary exhibitions. The battleground is shown in a five by five metre large slide from 6 to 11 September, when U.K. and U.S. forces met on shore and at sea. 2.
Situated on the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base site, the exhibit includes samples of automobiles, craft and railcars used in the Champlain Valley, among them cannoes, barge, ferries and a rarely reconstructed 1915 Lozier 82 luxurious vehicle that was once America's most costly one.
The house of the ardent nobleman Robert R. Livingston Jr. was burnt by English forces in 1777, but his spouse restored it as an agrarian showcase between 1779 and 1782. From the Visitor Centre there are walks through the official garden, bridle path and gallery. Financed by the Fireman's Association of the State of New York, the 50,000 square meter building has over 90 historical fire trucks, as well as gear and souvenirs that represent more than 300 years of fire brigade domesticity.
In a new exhibition, Lest We Forget: Honoring this September 11, 2001, you can see 9/11 firefighters' own creations. The Lindenwald, a 36-room building in federalistic design, was the home of President Martin Van Buren after he retired in 1841. You can take a guide through the Hausmuseum with genuine wallpapers and furniture as well as souvenirs from the Van Buren chairmanship and many more.
The Hudson River School artist Frederic Edwin Church spent between 1861 and 1900 living in the two-storey mansion in Farsique. The visitor can see the works of the church, among them works by Martin Johnson Heade and Arthur Parton as well as works of bronce, gypsum and marmor by the artist Erastus Dow Palmer. Columbia County is celebrating Columbia County's powerful legacy of the Shakers, an 1800s cult known primarily for the intense trembling during the service, and the anthem of" Simplificat.
" Shaker furnishings, fabrics, tools and farm equipment are on display to the public. At the two-storey Stuckhütte on the 180-hectare site, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt assisted run Val-Kill Industries, a furnishing company that provided work for men in the countryside during the Great Depression. The visitor can now visit the hut, the only national historical site dedicated to a First Lady.
The 300-hectare site comprises Springwood, Roosevelt's lifelong home, the first U.S. Presidential Library, a home to museums, backyards and paths. A 22-minute introduction film is available in the Visitor Centre. Ranger guidances through the historical house are possible. We will take a brief coach trip to Top Cottage, the house Roosevelt designed as a haven for Springwood.
Beaux-Arts Manor, with 65 rooms, was restored in the 1890s and was the seat of the Lewis-Livingston dynasty from 1792 to 1938. On the grounds of Margaret Lewis Norrie State Park, one of the most important Civilian Conservation Corps buildings from 1933, is the house with 17th and eighteenth centuries period furnishings, eastern carpets, silk and works of art.
Gilded -Age, a 54-room villa set on 211 hectares with a view of the Hudson, was the summer home of Frederick Vanderbilt, a railway tycoon, and his wife and daughter between 1895 and 1938. The Queen Anne-styled building, built in 1852 by John Warren Ritch for the property developer Thomas Suckley and his wife, has an inside room created by Joseph Burr Tiffany, Louis Comfort Tiffany's co-owner.
The 35-room house with thirty-five rooms, containing a collection of literature, correspondence, photos, furnishings, pictures, works of artwork and other private items, has been abandoned by three generation. Frederic was used as a defensive fortress during the wars in France and India, protecting against attacks from Britain in the Noth. Destructed by the Romans in 1759, the Brits invaded the penninsula and constructed a new and much bigger fortress next to the old one.
Visitor centre displays artefacts from the fortress' past and archeological artefacts. Here a relatively small troop conquered a much bigger troop of Britons, which invaded it in July 1758 during the wars in France and India. Throughout the Revolution, a brave assault by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold placed the fortress, now known as Ticonderoga, in US ownership.
A new Deborah Clarke Mars Education Center is now included in the Powders Storage and Storage, where attendees can visit presentations. It contains samples of the comprehensive collections of guns, horn powders, cards and documentation. You can also visit the King's Garden, a replica of the early twentieth-garden.
It was renovated with some furniture at the moment of Brown's deaths. Situated between Athens and Hudson, the still functioning 46 foot high Second Empire light tower led freighters along the bustling Hudson River from 1874. You can see the berth where the guard once sleeps and see advanced navigation technology to navigate the vessels through the perilous shallows known as middle ground flats.
Thomas Cole, the US artist and creator of the Hudson River School of Art, spent the years 1825-1848 in Cedar Grove. Parkranger offers 40-minute guides through the house and the atelier. Just 15 leagues from the property, the Hudson River School Art Trail meanders through breathtaking forests and Catskill summit that inspire its scenic romance.
Today, seven and a half hectares of the 19th cent. property have been preserved and include a restored plant where Vail and Samuel Morse first tried out the electrical wire, a grain warehouse with early agricultural machines and a coachman' s cottage dating from 1849. This 1,697 hectare large garden contains Ford Mansion, which was General George Washington's headquarter in early 1777 and in 1779.
A 25-minute movie about 18th-century military lives in the adjoining museums houses two museums as well as a walk up near the Nonsense Mound, where in early 1777 a secure home was erected by the army to defend against English attacks. The Jockey Hollow Visitor Center, 5 mile from the fortress, shows a rebuilt revolutionary soldier's cabin and a wall painting of the 10,000 troopers who were camping there in the 1779 cold war.
Situated in the 40,000 sq. ft. hall, 10 min. from Battery Park or State Park by boat, the center presents the story of US migrants, which includes print material, educational exhibits, verbal stories, and genealogy notations. Tourists can take advantage of walks, interaction with live historical figures and hire bikes to discover the picturesque scenery of the Isle.
The most important historic company of New York is exhibiting at the Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture on the Upper West Side its 60,000 artifacts collections. John James Audubon's watercolours for The Birds of America, Thomas Cole and Asher Durand's Hudson River School works and 132 artistic Tiffany lights from the Neustadt Collections are on view.
Audioguides, information boards and computer terminal interactivity also provide information about New York's local past and arts. The East River School in Lower Manhattan's 12-block Old Town has a 19-th-date printing house, John Rubens Smith painting, fishbone carving, over 1,000 New York-based model ships, and a 20,000-volume nautical collection.
Thirty minutes of sightseeing tour through the five historical rooms which have been furnished with the house's initial furniture. There are two museums with Roosevelt's own objects. Opposite West Point is the former insular fort, which was used as the most northerly anchoring site for the 80-ton Great Chain, which during the Revolutionary War extended southwards across the riverbank to Fort Arnold and prevented Brits ships from cruising northward.
A 280-hectare walk along forested paths and a 250-year-old Warner villa, where Anna Warner, the writer of the anthem "Jesus Love Me", and her Sr. Susan, who composed The Worldwide, Wider Worlds, can be seen. The two-storey house is open to the public, as well as artefacts from the previous owner and the remains of an Indian ceremony building before Gomez rebuilt his house.
Monroe, New York, contains a 30-hectare vibrant historic city that features reproductions of a 19-thousand year old postal service, a school building, a drugstore and 22 other facilities. One year after the British surrender in Yorktown, Washington set up a New Windsor hibernation camp so that its 7,000 soldiers could wait for word of the French wars.
In the vicinity is the National Purple Heart Hall of Fame, which commemorates the first presentation of the America Badge of Merit, a violet scarf that Washington gave to three warriors. Situated on the site of the historical West Point Fortress on the Hudson, 50 Leagues Northeast of New York City, the country's oldest camp camp.
Visitor Centre provides information on an independent visit to the West Point Museum, which contains a collection on the West Point Army's past. In August 1783, while based at Jonathan Hasbrock's Newburgh farm house, George Washington refused an order from the U.S. royalty and went southward to appease his furious troops who brewed a plot against the fleeing U.S. administration.
The seven-hectare site offers a magnificent panoramic vista of Beacon Mountain, Hasbrouck Mansion and the Tower of Victory, which commemorates Washington's 1783 truce. The Federal Palace, erected in 1808 by the business man States Dyckman, was initially located in Montrose until it was relocated to Garrison in the middle of the 20th cent.
Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival is held in the 45 acres of green. You can visit Wright's iconic Dragon Rock Studios and explore the four-mile-long itineraries. Under General John Stark, on 16 August 1777, the continent's armed forces led by General John Burgoyne provided a major loss to the UK armed forces, which attempted to take up local supplies camps.
At Bennington, Vermont, four leagues eastwards from the New York Wall, the visitor can ascend a 306-foot rock memorial that commemorates the important win. In the 16th and 17th centuries, between Hudson River and Wynantskil Creek, was the 250 ton BurdenWaterWheel, the most impressive of its kind.
There is an exhibition about the bicycle and the steelworks. On the RiverSpark Tour through seven manufacturing towns, all of which were once flourishing centres of the steel and textiles world. The two and a half storey brickwork home of the powerful Van Rensselaer familiy, which was finished at the beginning of the eighteenth centuary, is located in the centre of a former 700,000 hectare property, the first and only successfull patrol of the Netherlands in America.
It was encampment of English and US forces during the wars of France and India, and legends have it that the English military surgeon Richard Schuckburgh wrote "Yankee Doodle" while on the upper floor. It will reopen this past year with new artefacts from archaeological sites in neighbouring 1624's 1624 Holland's fortress.
Over 60,000 Troyans, among them Uncle Sam Wilson, the 1800s butcher who inspired America's nation emblem, are buried in this 400-hectare country graveyard with extensive Hudson Valley view. You can also visit the surviving nineteenth and early nineteenth centuries Victorian lodges and oratories. Tudor-styled toll house on the western bank of the Hudson River at the foot of the Camp Smith Trail offers information for tourists about the Bear Mountain Reservoir.
General George Washington used the building on four different occasion as his base of operations, mainly to approve the executions of Major John Andre. It consists of four buildings, a 7,200 square metre Rockland Historical Centre and three renovated farms - the Blauvelt Building, the 1832 Barns and Coach Houses - and offers exhibitions on the immigration heritages of Haiti and Ireland, guided visits and handicrafts and cookery shows that illustrate nineteenth and twentieth centuries Anglo-Dutch nationalism.
Visited by General George Washington and other prominent revolutionary warriors, the taverna also hosted Benedict Arnold's fellow Briton conspirators, Major John Andre, before his death. On the 16th of July 1779, at 12 o'clock, Brig General Anthony Wayne and his 700 mainland forces confiscated a UK fort at Stony Point, 25 leagues northern of Manhattan, after one of the boldest bayoneted attacks of the Revolutionary War.
This 45-acre state reserve includes paths that lead to excavation work, a small local history centre and the 1826 Stony Point Lighthouse, the oldest of its kind on the Hudson River. The visitor can see his belongings, his death bed and his flower arrangement from the cemetery. Situated directly opposite the Saratoga Racecourse, the oldest purebred equestrian event in the United States, the 17,000 square meter building is home to America's greatest youngsters, coaches, and mounts.
The visitor can see the exhibition "Ready to Ride", which shows a jockey's perspective of the race, as well as trophy, uniform and other souvenirs from three hundred years of horses. The Continental Army crippled the British in Saratoga in the autumn of 1777, an act that consolidated America's central coalition with France.
Situated on the four sq. kilometre field of combat, the visitor centre houses a theatre with a 20-minute orienteering movie, a fibre-optic card and exhibitions of artefacts from the war. In the northern part of the city of Victoria, the gardens can be viewed from the Saratoga Monument, a 155-foot garnet obelisk erected 100 years after the war.
Guests can enjoy restorative European-style baths, once visited by the country's top chefs, and discover the many baths and wild gears of the 2,200 hectare garden. There is also the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, where the New York City Ballet and the Philadelphia Orchestra perform regularly outdoors in summers.
Almost 4,000 artefacts, cards, models, pictures and documentation on the 185-year story of the Channel are exhibited in the Gothic rebirth band of the nineteenth centuary, among them a full-wall card of the 108-mile Channel and profiles of the presidents of Delaware and Hudson, John Wurts, and the New York government official, Dewitt Clinton. Pictures, movies and equipping of the 127-year-old Phoenicia station show the railway's story and its part in the Catskill region's evolution.
Tourists can visit the interior of a Delaware and Hudson Railway luggage van or the refurbishment of a 19 th cent. loco, Engin 23. Dedicated to the Hudson River's marine heritage, New York's only marine heritage exhibition, housed in a local craft store at Kingston's historical port, includes interior and exterior exhibitions, among them tickets, a five-foot Staten Island River cruise liner design, nautical antiquities such as iceboats and a steamship tractor, and the still-functioning Nineteenth C...
Today the 46 foot high beacon can be reached via a 1.5 km long natural learning path; its caretaker provides individual guided visits through the beacon and its two rooms (if not occupied). There is a room in the building that houses nineteenth c. steamboat mock-ups and a movie about the story and renovation of the beacon. Situated in Victorian Delong House from 1865, the exhibition deals with the story of Glens Falls and the Adirondacks to the south.
The fortress was erected in 1755 during the Franco-Indian War and was handed over to the Franco-American armed services in 1757 and demolished. Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, the theme of the fight ended with the assassination of some abandoned English indians.
Visits and activities on vivid historical life give kids the chance to dress in 1800s styles and take part in warfare. Papermakers Louis and Charlotte Hyde equipped their Italian Renaissance home with 2,800 works of art by Cezanne, Picasso, Van Gogh, Eakin, Homer and Ryder. The eight battleships from the 1800s war between France and India are more than 25 ft below the Lake George, sunk in 1758 by their English commander.
They include seven of the 900 bateaux used during the 1758 UK offensive on Fort Carillon in the summers of 1758, and the 50-foot long Raedau Land Tortoise, North America's oldest preserved warship. In the Visitor Centre you will find artefacts that document the Indian invasion, the story of Fort Edward and the archaeological site of Little Wood Creek, once an Indian town.
In 1946 the house and garden were transformed into a pub and restaurants and opened for guided visits. To the south-east of the theater is the Rosenhaus holiday home with whole rooms that have been brought in from Europe's castles as a gallery for a rich Renaissance artwork collections from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. This two-story manor house, renovated in 1876, houses an expansive 19th and twentieth centuries US arts library, which includes works by Hudson River School artists Jasper Cropsey and Albert Beirstadt.
Eight minutes' drive from Philipsburg Manor will take you to Kykuit, John D. Rockefeller's six-story 40-room villa. Following a ten-minute tour of the Rockefeller family's past, the visitor can take one of four itineraries, among them the three-hour Grand Tour of the inside with authentic murals and sculptures by Auguste Rodin, Alexander Calder and Pablo Picasso.
Almost three time as big as the villa, the shed contains a collector of coaches and old automobiles such as a 1924 Ford Model T. The spacious Gothic stately home used to be home to the former New York City burgomaster, William Paulding, Jr. and predator lord Jay Gould, who created the country's first steel-framed winter garden on his lawn.
The visitor can walk through the small rooms with arched 19 th cent. landscape or relax in the shadow of lime tree in the 67 hectare large nature large area. It is possible to visit the mansion and the scrap mill. Visitor can register for 30-minute visits.
On the riverbank, the house contains a large compilation of the author's holdings, as well as his desktop and books. Guided Victorian-clad 45-minute guided visits to the dinning room, office, canteen, bedroom and 10 hectares of wildflowered meadows in early May.