Castle Hudson NyHudson Ny Castle
Hudson Valley castles: Go on a photographic trip to these splendid sights
Along the Hudson Valley there are splendid buildings, some of which were erected by railway and Tobacco typcoons to testify to their richness. That castle: In 1905 Mary Clark Thompson finished the edifice as a monument to her husbands fiduciary, Fr. Ferris Thompson. The Great Window, a master piece of glazing, was ordered and set up in 1906 for the Birmingham Art Gallery in England.
That castle: That Gothic manor house overlooking the Hudson River in Tarrytown. In 1838, former New York Mayor William Pauling erected the first building on the site. It is now owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. There is a fantastic panoramic sight from the castle rooftop. That castle:
Only 25 leagues from Manhattan city centre, the house was a haven for affluent households in the tobaccos and railway industry from the mid-1880s to the turn of the world. That castle: The website of the castle: "Its history began just before the turn of the twentieth Century, when General Howard Carroll, a distinguished journalist, dramatist and business man, bought the country as a home for his expanding extended household.
"Carrollcliffe " was constructed in two phases between 1897 and 1910. In collaboration with the famous New York based Henry Kilburn, Carroll helped to design the castle in a similar fashion to the Norman fortifications in Wales, Scotland and Ireland. There were 45 rooms in the castle. Have a look at the website of the castle for information and accommodation.
That castle: Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1986, the building was constructed between 1879 and 1910 by the twins Albert and Alfred Smiley. That castle: The website of the castle: "Wing's Castle is an ancient miracle. Situated 75 leagues upstate from New York City, the castle was the spiritual son of the painters Peter and Toni Ann Wing.
The piano was built on a dairying estate near today's castle, the Millbrook Winery has become what was once the Wingfarm. In 1969 Mr Cristina came back from Vietnam, suggested Toni Ann and in 1970 the long-famous passion for the construction of a castle began. Now the castle is a B&B.
That castle: The Olana State History Site, the home and workshop of Hudson River School artist Frederic Edwin Church, is a historical site managed by the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Taconic Region. This is a national historical landmark and one of the most popular sights in the country.
You can find a detailled explanation of the story of the house and of the painter Frederic Church on the website of the hous.