The lovely Greek revival building
that houses The Spencertown Academy was built in 1847 as an Academy for the training of young
men and women to become teachers. It was founded by Dr.
Timothy Woodbridge, who was pastor of Saint Peter's Church
across the Village Green from the Academy. Woodbridge
was a grandson of Stockbridge preacher Jonathan Edwards
and a cousin of Aaron Burr. Woodbridge became blind while
studying at Williams College. The money to build the Academy
was raised by Dr. Woodbridge from members of the community.
The Academy was designed and built by Benjamin Ambler.
In about 1879 the Academy
became a Union Free School, a two-room schoolhouse for
the children of Spencertown grades one through eight.
It remained a school until 1970 when the children were
bussed into Chatham.
In 1972, seeking to save the classic
building, a group of concerned citizens and artists
formed the Spencertown Academy Society and established
cultural center which serves the community with arts
events, classes and exhibits, and has also been restoring
the building which is listed on the National Register
of Historic Places.
The Spencertown Academy Arts Center
is located in Spencertown, N.Y., a tiny village set
in the rural countryside of Columbia County in the foothills
of the Berkshire Mountains. In its lovely 1840's Greek
Revival schoolhouse, the Academy presents concerts,
readings, and fine art and crafts exhibits as well as
arts-related workshops and classes.